Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sitting pretty

Over the past few months, I have tried everything I could think of to get Cody to sit.  During clicker training last Saturday, I watched as dog after dog "got it"... you could almost see the little light bulbs go off over their heads as they rocked back on their haunches and their butts hit the floor.  Not MY dog!  Jen gave us some advice about using a steep hill to help him learn, so on Sunday, I took Cody into the backyard and after a several awkward minutes of straining his neck back to get the treats, his butt hit the ground.  I was ecstatic! We tried this a few more times and he seemed to get it, so I put him up on the level grass.  Once again, he got into a sit position.  I just couldn't believe it!  Upon trying it in the house though, he kept laying down, so I was a bit discouraged.  Last night I took him back outside to try to 'reconnect the dots' for him.  He immediately sat, so I brought him in the house and tried in various rooms, on various surfaces...he didn't disappoint!  =) 

In case you're wondering why he's practicing in his PJs, there was a bit I left out about his vet visit in my earlier post.  When he came out from under the sedative they gave him for the x-rays, he immediately came too and thrashed and wriggled out of the vet tech's arms while being scooped off the table. He banged his left back-knee and scrapped it pretty bad.  He won't leave it alone and I don't want him sleeping in a 'cone of shame', so I put on his PJs...out of sight, out of mind!  It seems to be working.

Callie scores a point for silliness.  While cooking dinner on Sunday, I heard Lyle laughing.  I turned around to see what was going on and saw Callie in this position.  I guess she decided she needed a rest before making the final leap onto the couch because she was laying like this with no attempt to get all the way up on the couch.  :P  After a couple minutes, she finally brought her other leg up and settled into her little ball.  They do keep us laughing.  =)

2 comments: